Thursday, March 11, 2010

Red Alert 3 Sucks..for me

Gah! I hadn't really played a good RTS in a while and wanted to like RA3 for wacky units and fun action. And I enjoyed the feel of the Japanese mechs right up until it became blindingly obvious it punished my playstyle and rewarded more effort than I wanted to put in to playing it.


It has insectoid walkers with tesla turrets
and I still don't like it now! (It took allot of work, but RA3 managed it)
 
Mainly, it seems to heavily punish massing units and favors lots of hit and run raids. Not only do others use general powers to knockout any sizable force you mass and aren't moving, but a superweapon and general power seems to take out your base in one strike, even if you're otherwise doing fine.

Ok, maybe I just suck and to be fair that late in the game I should've had a second construction yard instead of just outposts, but still. I don't want like 2 tanks and stuff knocking things over and running off. I want a grand army of many mighty tanks rolling forward for an epic battle...


Worked in RA2; in RA3 satelites fall and crush all of them

...but if you try that here they get sucked into space or planes crash into them or whatever as the game laughs at you for having more than 4 of the same unit in a group in the same place as you wait to build more. That is, even rallying them in my well defended base they still get fragged. Also rocket angels are the only units that don't need others to protect them =P

If I wanted tactical strikes I'd do something squad based; why make a game about armies and not let you use an army rather than a strike force?

(tl;dr: RA 3 doesn't fit my playstyle)
Credit: 1st pic from westwood website video, 2nd from RA2

No comments:

Post a Comment